旺旺首页 > 英语 > 英语考试 > 自考英语 > 综合英语二下册课后讲解
更新时间:2004/12/16

Lesson 8   How I designed an A-Bomb in my junior year at Princeton

1.I develop a terrible case of bloodshot eyes. Sleep comes rarely.
我的双眼布满了血丝,我很少感到困。

2.Seven days before the design is due, I’m still deadlocked.
离规定交设计的日子还有七天的时候,最后两个问题还是毫无进展。

3.But I can’t be sure until I know the exact nature of the explosives I will use.
可是,我要是不了解我要使用的炸药的性能,我是不敢肯定我设计的原子弹是不是真的有那么大的威力。

4.”The question has been raised by the department whether your paper should be classified by the U.S. government.”
“系里有人已经提出你的论文是否应该由美国政府列为保密项目的问题。”

5.Here I have put on paper the plan for a device capable of killing thousands of people, and all I was worrying about was flunking out.
我把一个能够杀死成千人的装置设计出来了,而我一直担心的是再考不及格让我退学。


Lesson 9   Forty years on

1.The comparisons were, without exception, to my disadvantage.
比较的结果总是我不如他。

2.To me it seemed sinister that Mother always passed on any small achievement of mine.
妈妈总是把我每一点小小的成绩传递过去,我觉得这样做好像是不吉利。

3.What a boomerang that proved!By return of post came the news that John had won a scholarship.
真是适得其反!她收到的回信带来了约翰获得奖学金的消息。

4.I did have, however, one horribly narrow escape.
不过,有一次我是幸免于难。(narrow escape夸张的手法,取得幽默的效果。)

5.In addition to my physical woes I had mental agonies; I prayed that something might occur to prevent this meeting.
肉体的痛苦不说,我还受精神压力的折磨;我祈求发生什么意外的事情把这次会面化为泡影。

6.So they played the game both ways, did they?
这么说他们两关玩的是同样的把戏,是不是?

Lesson 10    On friendship

1.For a Frenchman, a German or an Englishman friendship is usually more special and carries a heavier burden of commitment.
对于法国人、德国人或是英国人来说,友谊一般包含更为特殊的内容,承担更多的义务。

2.Related to this is the sense each friend gives the other of being a special individual, on whatever grounds this recognition is based.
与此相关的是,朋友之间彼此使对方感到与众不同,无论这种感觉的依据是什么.

3.And between friends there is inevitably a kind of equality of give and take.
此外,朋友之间必然要有来有往,互让互谅.

Lesson   11    Selling the post(I)

1.The flaw in my character which she had already spotted was lack of "gumption".
在我的性格中,她已经发现的弱点是缺少"进取心".

2.We were only sixty-five years from Lincoln. Many a grandfather who walked among us could remember Lincoln's time.
我们离林肯也只有65年的时间,生活在我们中间的许多爷爷辈的人还记得林肯时代.
               many a:  a large number of(正式)很多

3.Those young men would not go far in this world.
那些年轻人在这个世界里没有多在的前程.

4.He presented it with reverence fit for a religious object.
他毕恭毕敬地把那帆布包递给我,似乎那包是件圣物.


Lesson 12   Selling the post (II)

1.Put me down as a regular customer.
把我算成一个长期买主吧.

2.I bowed to superior will and entered journalism with a heavy heart.
我只好屈服于我母亲至高无上的意志,心事重重地进入了新闻行业.

3.So far as I could make out, what writers did couldn't even be classified as work.
按我当时的理解,作家干的事甚至不能算作是工作.

4.I did not dare tell anybody for fear of being laughed at in the school yard, but secretly I decided that what I’d like to be when i grew up was a writer.
这事我不敢跟任何人说,怕在校园里让人笑话,不过我私下认定长大之后要当作家.

Lesson 13   How to grow old

1.I never do anything whatever on the ground that it is good for health, though in actual fact the things I like doing are mostly wholesome.
尽管我喜欢做的事情大多数是有益于健康的,但我从不因某事有益于健康而特意去做那件事。

2.Psychologically there are 2 dangers to be guarded against in old age. One of these is too great an absorption in the past. The other thing to be avoided is clinging to young in the hope of finding strength in its vitality.
从心理角度来说,老年时期要提防两种危险。一是沉溺于过去。另一件要避免的事,就是依恋子女,希望从他们身上的活力中获取生命的力量。

3.Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life; the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.
三个牵挂,简单但又极为深重,支配了我的一生:对爱的渴望,对知识的追求,对人类苦难的无限的同情。

4.This has been my life. I have found it worth living,and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.
我就是这样生活的。我认为这样活着值得,如果上天赐我良机,我愿意这样再活一次。


Lesson 14   The listener

1.And he sat there, gentle and reflective, his great workman hands resting on outspread thighs.
于是他坐在那里,和蔼、深沉,一双劳动者的大手搭在伸开的大腿上。

2.For some time he continued to sit in silence. Then he looked up, lifted those hands calmly, judiciously, and nodded his head.
他静静地又坐了一会儿,然后抬起头来,安详地、有见地地举起了双手,点了点头。

Lesson 15   Edison: Inventor of invention

1.In my youth the lonely inventor who could not obtain a hearing was still the stock figure of the imagination.
我年轻的时候,人们对发明家的印象仍然是那种不为人理睬、孤立无援这种固定模式的人物。

2.In strict truth an invention is almost never the sole product of any one mind.
严格地说,一项发明创造几乎不可能只是任何一个个人的思想结晶。

3.It may be that in time we shall become used to change as in our older wisdom we had become used to the unchanging.
也许,随着时间的推移,我们会慢慢习惯于变革,就像在此以前,我们的思想状态使我们习惯于停滞不变一样。

[上一页]
相关主题链接:
重点语法讲义及练习
大纲重点词汇复习
2004年上半年自考英语(二)试卷评析
1999年(下)高自考英语写作试卷
英语写作试题
2000年下半英语写作基础(全国卷)
2000年下半年英语写作(全国卷)
一些常用词语的地道表达
英文写作必背句型
英语作文常用句型
英语作文重点句型
英语写作常见错误与分析